Thomas J. Coleman III
615 McCallie Avenue
Department of Psychology
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403 USA
E-mail address: Thomas-J-Coleman@mocs.utc.edu
Born: February 8th, 1984 – Annapolis Maryland
Citizenship: United States of America
- Currently pursuing a B.S. in Psychology at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga with plans to pursue Masters and Doctorate in Research Psychology
Honors And Awards
- Assistant Editor for The Religious Studies Project
- Director of the undergraduate psychology of religion lab at UTC under Dr. Ralph W. Hood Jr.
- 2013 Duke University scholarship awarded for the Summer Research Course on Religion, Spirituality and Health
- 2013 International Association for the Psychology of Religion student scholarship fee waiver
- 2013 Center For Inquiry Student Leadership Conference travel scholarship
- 2012 Richard Dawkins Foundation scholarship awarded for the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry Convention
- Assistant Project Manager Position on the Bielefeld International Spirituality Research Study
- American Psychological Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- International Association for the Psychology of Religion
Exploring the advanced methodologies in the domains of qualitative and quantitative research focusing in the psychology of religion and spirituality. Specific interests include horizontal / vertical transcendence, spirituality, secularization, non-belief, social psychology, evolutionary psychology, and narrative / biographical analysis and philosophical psychology.
Current Projects And Research
Project Manager for the USA, conducting research on spirituality and altruism in blood donors for visiting Turkish scholar Sevdenur Duzguner with Ralph W. Hood Jr., April 2013 to August 2013.
- Research Coordinator for “The Effects of Cognitive Load and Stereotypic Thinking on the Interpretation of Religious Experience” with Matthew C. Durham and Christopher F. Silver, May 2013 to present.
- Project Manager for “Islamic Acculturation in America” with graduate researcher Hadia Ghazi, May 2013 to present.
- Project Manager for a study of Non-Belief in America with Christopher F. Silver, November 2012 to June 2013.
- Assistant Project manager for the USA, conducting spirituality research with Heinz Streib, Barbara Keller and Ralph W. Hood Jr., June 2012 to present.
- Currently supervising a research project on the domain intersections within Horizontal/Vertical Transcendence and correlates related.
- United States Sound Engineer working with Christopher F. Silver for the Podcast Series the Religious Studies Project in Association with British Association for the Study of Religions. http://www.religiousstudiesproject.com/
Publications And Papers
- Coleman III, Thomas J. (2013) The Secular Reality: A Response to Pratt’s “Durkheimian Dread”. The Religious Studies Project Podcast Series. http://www.religiousstudiesproject.com/2013/02/06/the-secular-reality-by-thomas-j-coleman-iii/
Edited / Reviewed Blog Publications
- Coleman, T. J. III, (2013) Implicit Frameworks: The Tyrannical Hegemonic Discourse. The Nonreligion & Secularity Research Network Official Blog, Methods and Methodologies. http://blog.nsrn.net/2013/11/01/implicit-frameworks-the-tyrannical-hegemonic-discourse/
Coleman, T. J. III, Hood, R. W. Jr & Silver, C. F. (2013, August 30) Horizontal and Vertical Transcendence; A theory, the paradigm, and research paper presented at the 2013 International Association for the Psychology of Religion world congress in Lausanne Switzerland
- Silver, C. F. & Coleman, T. J. III (2013, Aug 31) Empirical Explorations of Spirituality Panel presented at the American Psychological Association 2013 Annual Convention in Honolulu Hawaii
- Silver, C. F., Coleman, T. J. III, Keller, B., Klein, C, Hood, R. W. Jr. & Streib, H (2013, August 28) Spirituality” in Germany and the United States: New Results on the Semantic, Psychological and Biographical Perspectives panel presented at the 2013 International Association for the Psychology of Religion world congress in Lausanne Switzerland
- Coleman, T. J. III, Silver, C. F. (moderators), Brandt, P. Y., Hood, R. W. Jr., & Streib, H. (discussants) (2013, August). The Religious Studies Project Podcast Psychology of Religion Participatory Panel conducted at the 2013 International Association for the Psychology of Religion world congress in Lausanne Switzerland http://www.religiousstudiesproject.com/podcast/rsp-psychology-of-religion-participatory-panel-special/
- Coleman, T. J. III, Back in the SSSR: Reflections on the 2013 SSSR/RRA (2013, November 20), The Religious Studies Project. http://www.religiousstudiesproject.com/2013/11/20/back-in-the-sssr-reflections-on-the-2013-sssrrra-conference-by-thomas-j-coleman-iii/
- Coleman, T. J. III, (2013). (Review) Mental Culture: Classical Social Theory and the Cognitive Science of Religion. Edited by D. Xygalatas and W. McCorkle Jr., Durham: Acumen Publishing Ltd., 2013, British Association for the Study of Religions Bulletin, 18-19
- Meeting of the Minds hosted by Christopher Maute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvm0MO1SoE
- CNN 1. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15/the-six-types-of-atheists/ 2. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/18/the-story-behind-the-six-types-of-atheists-study/
- The Raw Story http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/02/atheism-study-authors- congratulations-non-believers-youre-just-like-everybody-else
- The Christian Post http://www.christianpost.com/news/researchers-ritual-atheists-and-agnostics-could-be-sitting-next-to-you-in-church-99373/
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Public Relations Office http://blog.utc.edu/news/2013/07/professor-and-student-label-six-types-of-non-believers/
- WTVC News Channel 9 http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/utc-professor-defines-6-types-atheism-6313.shtml
- Times Free Press http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jul/30/study-finds-diverse-world-of-atheism/
- The Huff Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/13/atheist- study_n_3587748.html?utm_hp_ref=religion
- The Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2013/jul/15/six-types-of-atheist?post_id=1381390701_10200221457284066#_=_
- Alternet http://www.alternet.org/belief/6-types-atheists-and-non-believers-america
- The Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/07/31/varieties-of-atheist-experience/